Tuesday 10 December 2013

Know Your nominees # 6: Schingy

When the categories for the Hip Hop awards were released, there were a lot of mixed feelings regarding some of the nominations and the categories themselves. One aspect that stood out was the reaction from Schingy’s fans who made so much noise that some critics have suggested that a category was made just for this young man (but this is just speculation). Meet Schingy.

PUSH: Finish this sentence, Schingy is

SCHINGY: Is also known as MWR or TRF, is a  Zim Hip Hop 2013 nominee signed under Team Rehab. He is a rapper, lyricist as well as a fashion designer . He is 20 years old and was born in Chitungwiza. He is doing a Business Management Degree by Midlands State University. MWR started music at the tender age of 5 but professionally has had to wait till 2011 where he co-founded Hot Boys 5 Star Rec with fellow partners and recorded his first EP entitled TAKAJAMUKA which made headlines on the internet and social media and also recognition from college students who liked the track. Currently he has released two videos and three singles from the forth coming Murimi WeRap album to be released in his birthday on the 06/06/2014 .These include his hit song Hustle On featuring Christhood which topped gospel charts and also received international airplay on online radio stations in America.  Its video was a major success to his career as it received air play on Channel O for almost 2 weeks and is currently being played on Nigerian Satellite Stations like Fresh Wave more than 8 times a day. The other song is Ndakuudza featuring Snurbei which received quite a good platform locally and regionally. The third song is Murimi WeRap featuring Team Rehab which is currently doing well in SOHH and in the streets.

PUSH: You have been nominated for MVP this year along side a couple of really talented artists, what were your thoughts when you saw the late announcement?

SCHINGY: It was a surprise to me after what had happened earlier but lately I feel honoured. It meant a lot to me especially that people really appreciated all the efforts I had put into my work.

PUSH: You have accumulated a really large following on social media, How did that happen?

SCHINGY:  I think to a certain extent, the air play I got from FreshWave  and  Channel O helped in building the fan base for me. Also some media appearance that I have done throughout the year, I can tell you, I have been in the press 52 times in less than 12 months. But to a greater extent, my followers are from MSU (fellow students) judging from the 13000 students who enrol there.

PUSH: They must love you. You arguably have had one of the nicest videos to come from Hip Hop this year and must have good management team. Who are these guys who work with you?

SCHINGY: My mangers are Tafadzwa Zimoyo, who is my personal manager, Liberty Dandire who does all the IT and stuff with Vanessa Chiyangwa helping in sponsoring and funding of projects.

PUSH: Second Last question before we let you go, if you were on the awards judges’ panel, why would they make you the MVP this year?

SCHINGY:  Hahaha okay, I’ve done better than all of them on the international scene. I have two international videos, this year, that’s more than my fellow nominees. I have more than one joint on chart shows at the same damn time, that’s more than my fellow nominees. I’ve been changing circles of Hip Hop from not being a Hararian, but being an artist whose music is sung in the outskirts unlike most of the other artists. I have done more shows than most of them, considering that I am on my own unlike some of the other artists who are a part of a clique. The achievements they have done are part of synergies not their own. If they are going to judge according to media and fans reach like they said on the day they created the category, then it’s obvious, I’ve been all over the media. I have many fans from the streets to the social sites that are behind me, some real niggas who are ready to die for their realest nigga.

PUSH: Interesting, Last question, what’s the future for Schingy? Can we expect anything for 2014? And where can fans get your music

SCHINGY: 2014, I am dropping my 1st LP and prepare for a milestone in Hip Hop # DVD for my 7 top class videos to come out. I am also working on my short film project to come out next year. My music can be checked on my website although right now its currently under reconstruction www.schingy.com. Or the www.reverbnation.com/Schingy. Just Google Schingy they will definitely give you different links coz my name search now can lead to 9 pages with contents linking only to Schingy chete!

PUSH: Thanks a lot Schingy, good luck in the Hip Hop awards

PUSH


No comments:

Post a Comment