Thursday 10 October 2013


This past week we were lucky to meet another one of Zimbabwe’s budding artistes. We met the young Chris Lionel James, better known as Chris J who had come into Harare from Chinhoyi. An artiste who has tried to push his music, has been on local radio and also been played in Zambia

We listened to his music and the first thing we’ll appreciate about the young man is his versatility, his ability to move between genres and still managing t pull it off and give a good song. This boy sings and raps and manages to be gripping when he does both. He gave us a brief description of the studio set up they use in Chinhoyi and all we could say is that his love for music is evident. With Scottish and Zambian parentage (are you picturing a guy in a kilt?), Chris J manages to act character to his songs by singing in and rapping in Nyanja at times. You really get to appreiate it on songs like “number one” and ndimakukinda which features Jerry B and has a dancehall feel about it.

From th tracks we heard, another of our favourites was wakakosha which was done by D.NA which is the crew that Chris J represents. Wakakosha has an afro pop and it was really well executed. Even the mix down version of Ndimakukonda was eay on the easy on the ears..with a more mellow instrumental. He also has uptempo songs like “Blow it” and “Do da dan” that will have you thining you can dance. Whats a rapper ithout a song hat sounds like its for a stripper huh? That’s “do da dance “ for you.

Chris J is a promising artist and because we like him, and we dont lie to our readers we’ll be honest. Most of the songs are good and although there is te ocasional shallow song, the only set back for him achievin his goals would be the mixing and mastering of the tracks. Chris J is a very focused and when he spoke to us he told us of his plas to relocate to Harare where he believes it is a happening. That is what should be called etermiation. Chris J has decided to bring the game to Harare! Maybe we’ll start bumping into him in town more often.

We had a short chat interview with Chris J and this how it went.

PUSH: Tell me when you started this music thing

Chris J: I started rapping in primary school in the 4th grade and I started writing songs when I was 11. I was the best dancer in high school and primary...

PUSH: And when did you become a recording artist?

Chris J: In 2011 when I did my first track called GO HARD.

PUSH: Was it easy starting your career as a recording artist? Where was it?

Chris J: No it wasn’t. I had to look for money. You know what they say. I had my first recording at Milton x

PUSH: This is in Chinhoyi?

Chris J: Yes in Chinhoyi. I was 19. It was produced by Jerry B

PUSH: And Jerry B has been doing your tracks since then?

Chris J: No, I then switched to Blonck yard music where I found Niktat who has been producing for me till now because I had a few complications with Jerry B [artistes and their drama and always having complications with people]

PUSH: Ok cool. Which track of yours made it to radio first?

Chris J: “Can’t stop” ft Niktat then “Number one”

PUSH: so which stations have had your music on rotation?

Chris J: Star Fm only.

PUSH: How would you describe your music?

Chris J: Mmm let’s just say it’s mainly on how I feel. My music is me.

PUSH: So you’ve got music that crosses boundaries of genres?

Chris J: Yes bra you name it. I have no genre. My songs speak for themselves

PUSH: Ok last question. What are your plans for the future?

Chris J: I want to have my own empire. Have my own record label. Make my music global and open a clothing label

 

Well we hope more radio stations discover this young man, and also, while YOU are here just follow the link below and hear some of his music. Maybe we’ll pass this on to @Zimhiphoppolice and hear what they have to say...

Soundcloud.com/chrislioneljames

Remember to always P.U.S.H

No comments:

Post a Comment